Candle Burning 101
How to get the most out of your candles!
- The wick will be trimmed for you when you receive your candle, but after every use, please trim the wick down to 1/8-1/4". This gives you a cleaner, brighter burn. It also prevents the "mushroom" head on the tip of the wick, which encourages smoke and soot.
- When first lighting your new soy candle, plan to let it burn for 3-4 hours, or until the melted wax pool has reached the edges of the container. This sets the memory for future burns of your candle, maximizing wax consumption, and will prevent "tunneling" which limits the life of your candle.
- Never burn a candle completely out. Once the wax is gone in a container, the container can get really hot and leave a burn mark on the surface underneath it. Always burn your candle on a heat resistant surface.
- Keep the flame away from moving air. Whether it's a fan, air conditioning vent or the wind outside, you don't want your candle to be near a high wind source. Moving air can disturb the flame, leaving black marks on your candle and container.
- Always keep a burning candle within sight. Keep candles away from pets and children.
- Never burn a candle near a flame source; like curtains, towels, bedding, carpet, books, paper, decorations, etc.
- Make sure candle is on a heat resistant surface and is level.